March 1, 2005
Remove all clutter from the house.
• Are countertops free and clear?
• Have you removed unnecessary furniture throughout the house?
• Remove the art gallery and coupon collection from the refrigerator.
• Your significant other may be cute, but excessive personal photos tend to attract the attention of prospective buyers.
Check the bathrooms.
• Are the surfaces clean and clear?
• Are shower curtains and doors hung properly?
• Is the flooring clean and fresh?
• Are towels neatly hung?
• Buyers do open drawers… hide the lube and condoms.
Check the walls.
• Is paint and wallpaper fresh and clean?
• Are the walls free from holes?
• Are there any colors or objects on the walls that need to be removed?
• Neutral colors are best in case you plan on painting
Check the floors.
• Is the carpet clean and free from stains?
• Are hard surface floors clean and free from stains?
Check windows and window coverings.
• Are all the windows clean?
• Are draperies and blinds clean?
• Are there any signs that this is a pet's home? Be sure to clean and remove kitty litter, pet toys and bedding.
• Dog and cat (especially cat piss) smells make buyers think “NO” as soon as they walk in the door.
• Crating a dog helps during showings in case a walk can’t be scheduled.
How's the aroma?
• Try to air out the home prior to showings.
• If air freshener is necessary, use well before showings as a consideration to those with allergies.
• Boil Celestial Seasonings Apple Cinnamon tea in a large pot before showings. Buyers always comment that is smells great.
• Don’t overdo the candles. One expensive candle should suffice. Try illuminations.com (mulled wine is the best scent) or candlebar.com. Votivo candles tend to release too much smoke if the wick is not trimmed each time.
Set the mood prior to showings.
• Open draperies and blinds.
• Turn on the radio to a classical music station, set the volume on low.
• If you have time, cook a batch of cookies to have the warm, welcoming aroma permeating the home. Break and bake cookies are great!